Call Us Today: (916) 278-4994

Frequently Asked Questions

What’s the first step in getting a student intern/assistant?

Call 916-278-4994 or email us and we will assist you in developing a contract.

Are you like a temp agency?

Not exactly, although like a temp agency, we are the employer of record and assume the liability for workers’ compensation and other areas of liability.

We do not have a pool of students; rather you post for part-time, temporary positions and interview the top candidates. We provide full-scale human resources assistance, comprehensive payroll services, and assist you with employee relation matters.

Is there a cost for your services?

Your contract budget is for the actual student salary and associated taxes with a small indirect fee applied for our contract management, human resources, payroll, and liability services, plus reporting and invoicing.

What is my role?

Each student should have an identified supervisor who will set the student’s schedule, provide a place to work with appropriate equipment, explain the responsibilities, and provide overall mentoring. One supervisor can manage more than one student.

The supervisor will review and approve a bimonthly timesheet. Please review our training materials for additional resources and information.

Recruiting & Paying Students

How do I post a job?
We’ll provide you a University Enterprises, Inc. (UEI) account number to create your user account on and email you a username and password. And yes, we have samples of job postings for you to use in drafting your job post, and we’ll review your posting before it’s uploaded to

Do you select the applicants for us?
Students will submit applications online, which you’ll be able to view and then select candidates to interview.

Can I get specialized recruitment?
Yes, we can customize your search by location, expertise, field of study, and extend the reach beyond posting on our website.

How much do I pay a student?
Pay rates are established by you based on your contract terms and budget. Many state agencies use the CalHR guidelines, but that is not required. Rates should be consistent for students performing the same duties. UEI will follow all federal and state labor laws and local wage ordinances. We can provide you with a sample pay scale to use as a guideline, if desired.

About Students

Can I only hire Sacramento State students?
No. We have affiliation agreements with almost 200 public universities, community colleges, and private four-year accredited colleges throughout California.

Are international students eligible for employment?
Yes. International students who hold a J-1 or F-1 visa are eligible to work as a student intern. Please call 916-278-4994 for more information.

What is the student courseload requirement?
Undergraduates must be enrolled in and attend classes for a minimum of six semester or nine quarter units. Graduate students must be enrolled in a graduate studies program and carry four semester or six quarter units. There is no unit requirement for summer.

Do students need a declared major?
For positions at state agencies, the student’s field of study must match the requirements listed in the job posting. Field of study can be represented by a declared major or by past and current coursework. The positions are to advance a student’s learning in his or her field of study and introduce them to your workplace as a possible career path.

Who handles student new-hire paperwork?

All new and rehired students must complete an orientation before the first day of employment. Students in the Sacramento area will attend orientation at UEI on the Sacramento State campus. Students outside the Sacramento area will receive orientation at their workplace.